Update old armies
- 0 (0%)
You decide!
- 0 (0%)
Nightstalkers
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Looking for Kings Of War Players  (Read 4337 times)

VampireLord666

• The Legend
Re: Looking for Kings Of War Players
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2015, 05:33:58 PM »

Same for my abyssal/orc force, though I'm not sure which army to go for.  I'll look at
Martin's ranges and see what's available. Of course the abyssals might not be out until later
so I'll see what I can do.

VampireLord666

• The Legend
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2015, 12:38:06 AM »

This week might be a bit iffy, since there could either be a 40k tournament
or a magic qualifier this Saturday. Sunday I don't know what's going on and
Friday I may also have plans. Next weekend is Halloween. Not sure what's happening on
the Sunday after Halloween though.

As for the Herd List,  it's roughly the same effect as twilight kin, so when the book comes
out, ill look over what I have and see what happens. 

Still torn between Orcs and Abyssals, although I've plan to test various GW and PP glues
on Orc models I'll collect and see if they'll work. If they do, I'll slowly build up my Orc or
Abysmal army and go from there. What do you think?

longtooth

« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2015, 06:42:47 AM »

Sounds like a plan to me.  Checking the Kings of War Houston Facebook page it looks like there are more folks getting into the game close by Asgard.  This is good...I don't like the drive to Ettin.  Asgard is much closer to me, but parking sucks.

VampireLord666

• The Legend
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2015, 07:46:30 PM »

I hear ya, especially on weekends where magic players all over the city come to play.
Seriously, in just about nearly all the tournaments I participated in and/or watched, half
the announcements come from illegally parked cars as a topic.

Another thing, trying to find movement trays online is a nightmare now that GW
has stopped making them. I might order from Mantic, but who knows if I'll start my Orc
army or an Abyssal army with what I got. I can't wait to see your kingdoms of men
army when it's finished, as well as other players in the store!

VampireLord666

• The Legend
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2015, 09:26:49 PM »

Now I'm torn between Orcs, Abyssals and Abyssal Dwarves! I'm tempted to do the
last one, but with all this hybrid assembly, it's pretty difficult to do, even with affordable
materials! Good news however, the mantic plastic is backwards compatible with GW
plastic glues, but not Plastic Resin, which, like the Privateer Press stuff, requires super glue.
No kidding, I tested it on some mantic orc great axes, which work great if I'm doing Orcs
or Abyssal Dwarves as Slave orcs.

What do you think?

longtooth

« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2015, 09:39:15 AM »

I have not acquired any Mantic figures yet...so I wasn't award of which glue/ models match ups work.  Sounds like you got a handle on things.  Orcs, Abyssals and Abyssal Dwarves are all good choices for new armies.  So what you want.  I've completed my 2d archer troop for my new Kings of Men force.  I'm now working on a pole armed regiment.  After that, I got stuff to build two more units then I'm out of toys to paint.

VampireLord666

• The Legend
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2015, 11:34:11 PM »

Great, now tempted to do an Empire of dust army. I know I have an Undead Army,
but I wanted to see what I have works for my undead army before tackling Empire
of Dust. Maybe I'll post a poll, I can only have so much in my house, and the
Container Store doesn't have those mug holders I liked.

Poll forthcoming as soon as this post is finished.

Edit: Poll added.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 11:43:18 PM by VampireLord666 »

VampireLord666

• The Legend
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2015, 10:18:38 PM »

And a vote for Orcs! Reason why I set up this poll was that I'm trying to build an army
for Kings of war using the Mantic stuff, in addition to GW, provided they haven't
Age of Sigmarited it yet. Also, I don't know who else plays kings of war in the store
nor who plays what in their armies, but I like to be unique among the other players,
whether it be for simple games, a tourney, a league or a campaign.

Plus, it also helps that I practiced modeling techniques on Orcs, so that's an added
bonus. I might need more votes before I truly decide on what army to make though.

VampireLord666

• The Legend
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2015, 09:42:45 PM »

Still tempted to do empire of dust, which is a tomb kings expy. I recently gotten a
Painting poster to see what color ranges i can try out for the skeletons. As for the orcs,
I might as well get two army boxes if possible, although working with mantic resin seems
a little new to me. I might go to GWs tomb kings selection and see what they have, seeing
that they have three plastic chariots in a box I can use, since the minimum chariots for KoW
is three, unless you're putting a character on there if the list allows it. Also, hybrid models
aren't exactly my cup of tea, as the skulks are plastic orcs with metal bits to make the bows.

What do you think?

longtooth

« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2015, 09:16:33 PM »

Orcs or empire of dust both sound good.  Painting wise skeletons can be easier to paint if you want to field a army quickly.  Do what you think best.  The owner of my local game store told me my order arrived.  Now I can get back to work on my Kingdoms of men army.  My son is moving back into the area and he has several old GW sat armies and wants to try the rules.  I already have my game table set up at home.😀

VampireLord666

• The Legend
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2015, 10:53:47 PM »

Cool, what armies does he have? I can't wait to see them!

Also, my uncharted empires book arrived on Wednesday, but I didn't pick it up until Saturday. I looked
at the armies, and revealed armies already in the army builder:

The Brotherhood: good aligned bretonnians with water elementals
Salamanders: good aligned lizard men.
The Herd: neutral beastmen, which I played with in our game.
Rhordia: neutral halflings.
Empire of Dust: evil tomb kings.
Ratkin: evil skaven
Varangur: evil warriors of chaos, which I have.

Sadly, no sign of twilight kin, but two new armies that are not in the army builder
are in the book, they must be seen to be believed. To get a glimpse of what they are,
the new armies are as follows,

Neritica: neutral fishmen, no warwhammer fantasy battle expy exists for these guys,
but they are pals with other forces of nature, including the Herd. Hard to hit them in melee
because of armywide ensnare, unless said otherwise.

Nightstalkers: Evil...... things that, like the Neriticas, have no fantasy expy, but are from
the embodiment of our nightmares. Whereas the abyssals are demons from Hell, the Nightstalkers
are negative feelings and then some from some other dimension. Confused and scared yet? We
should be, their main gimmicks are an army wide stealthy (unless said otherwise), which makes
Them harder to shoot. If that's not bad enough, they have an armywide ability that, if within
12 inches of an enemy inspiring model and is routed, the opponent is forced to reroll the nerve test
And the second result stands. However, it comes at a price, as none of the Nightstalkers have
Inspiring, nor gain inspiring through the talisman. I may consider starting this army in the future.

I would go into details about units and what they do for the armies, but that would spoil the
surprise. what do you think about all this?

VampireLord666

• The Legend
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2015, 03:01:20 PM »

Added Nightstalkers to the poll. Again, no fantasy counterpart for these guys, so I'll have to
see what model ranges are available before I make the army.

longtooth

« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2015, 11:44:03 AM »

I've been off line lately.  Sorry for the late reply.  My son has my old GW tomb king army and is using it for one of the Kings or War undead armies.  I got a game in last week at Ettin's against Ogres.  They ran me over, but it was a fun game.  I also pick up the new Uncharted Empires book.  I understand that the new twilight Kin army list will come out sometime next year.  So I'm still using the temporary list that Mantic provided.  Since the list is temporary I don't want to buy figs for it not knowing which troops types will be dropped or added, so I'm stuck with my current force and don't want to update.  I think there might be a Kings of War tournament at one of the game shops in the north part of town next weekend.  I hate the drive, but may attend.  Has there been any Kings of War gaming at Asgard lately?  I'm still working on my new kingdoms of men army.  Hope to have it done before the updated twilight kin list comes out.

VampireLord666

• The Legend
« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2015, 12:04:29 AM »

Well, there might be rumors of other armies other than twilight kin, so we might look out
for those. Who knows if twilight kin will be the only army list for next year.

Also, the Trident Realms (Neritica) and Nightwalkers are on the army builder now! I may go
Through my old armies and see what I have before testing them out. Say, what armies have
you faced with the kings of war rules? I only faced your twilight kin with my herd.

As for my nightstalkers, since mantic hasn't made any models for them yet, I thought I get models
that look vaguely like the descriptions shown, or if push comes to shove, theme my force around a
fairy tale nightmare involving elves, skeletons and more.

As for other kings of war players and games, I haven't seen anyone else due to the backlash age of
sigmar has gotten, and might be tempted to put the new age of sigmar models on square or rectangle
bases (within legality of course) just to prove a point! Time is short, since older WHF models are
getting the AoS treatment too!

longtooth

« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2015, 09:18:11 PM »

With my Twilight Kin 2000 point army I've faced my son's Empire of Dust army twice, lost one and tied one.  Fought the Undead Army and lost.  I wasn't prepared for those soul reaver infantry and cavalry.  I've fought the Ogres three times now.  Each time I got ran over.  Those Ogres move fast, hit hard and are tough.  However all these games were fun.  The Ogre and Undead players were much more experienced than me.  I really need more bolt throwers and models I don't have in my collection to put a harder hitting force out on the table and need to concentrate my crossbow shooting on one target at a time instead of trying to hit many targets during the shooting phase.  It would help if my magic user would get her spells off.  During one game I didn't get any spells off the entire game.  I think overall I need to better use what I got than what I've been doing.   I really like the Kings of War rules.  Easy to learn, but hard to master. 
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5